27.9.08

Jamie Lidell - Multiply (2005)

When Multiply was released I believe something must have exploded supernova-like in outer space due to some cause and effect phenomena. This was my first experience listening to Jamie Lidell, though I had seen his name on the Warp website for sometime. I tried to listen to his other albums afterwards, but to be honest, I was quite disappointed!


Here Jamie has shook the ground with an attempt to recreate the early funk soul groove of the 70's and 80's. With tracks like "You got me up" and "When I come back Around" I felt like I was being taken back in time to the era of funk. I can imagine Otis Redding, Michael Jackson and James Brown trembling.

While it's by far the best album I've heard in years, in comparison to his earlier work, there's absolutely nothing in common. Anybody can listen to "Multiply" easily, but other Jamie Lidell albums are to be handled with care. Ultimately, this is a great buy, but not something to judge the artist entirely upon. Give a listen, you'll probably enjoy.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=e1f9e5fd0ea9078168878a791f7c6a58